Thursday, February 3, 2011

Sweet Potato Burritos

Last night I made sweet potato burritos, a recipe taken from All Recipes.com, which is a website I use with some frequency. The Other Adult in my family commented that the recipe was a keeper, but I should have used a larger proportion of sweet potatoes to beans. I altered the recipe slightly over what was recommended on the website, and because I'd never made mashed sweet potatoes before, this was a new experience.

Sweet Potato Burritos

Preheat oven 350 degrees. Prepare mashed sweet potatoes and refried beans (separately). Drop dollops of mashed sweet potatoes and refried beans onto flour tortillas, top with cheese. Roll the burritos and place in a greased casserole dish. Top with a little more cheese, then bake in the oven for 12 minutes.

To make the mashed sweet potatoes, I peeled then cut up 3 sweet potatoes into large-ish chunks. I boiled the potatoes until soft, then put them in the food processor with a little milk.

To make the Refried Beans:

Ingredients:
  • half or whole chopped onion

  • crushed garlic to taste (I used two small spoonfuls)

  • 1 can kidney beans

  • 1 can pinto beans

  • veggie broth (1 or 2 cups...I just dumped it in, that's the kind of cook I am)

  • 1 t cumin

  • 2 t dry mustard

  • 1 small pinch cayenne (emphasis on the word "small"...)

  • 2 T soy sauce (I might use less next time)


I diced the onion and put it in the cast iron skillet with olive oil to saute, whilst I blended the beans in the food processor with veggie broth. I blended the beans for only a few seconds, so that there were still big chunks of beans. I dumped the beans into the cast iron, stirred until bubbling, then added the spices, and continue to stir until it had thickened, stirring frequently.

When the burritos were baking, I topped with a little organic chipotle salsa from Ralphs, but next time I'm going to use something slightly less smokey.

I prepared this dinner with mexican rice and heated black beans, which I plan to use in a recipe for the Other Adult's lunch later this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment