Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Super Moist Banana Walnut Bread!



I try to be good to the Other Adult. I make her a new bread or muffin every week, and so she can eat them for her breakfasts in the morning.

Weekday mornings at our house are insane. Probably we are not alone in this respect. The Other Adult wants to wake up as late as possible to maximize the amount of time she spends sleeping. We get up at 6:10 in the morning. The Kid and the Other Adult leave for school together at 6:40. This gives the Kid 30 minutes to eat breakfast, get dressed and stuff her backpack with last night's homework. Meanwhile, I make coffee and assemble lunches. I have to count down seconds for the Kid, so she doesn't spend too much time on any one task. As I make the coffee I say: "You have thirty-five seconds to brush your teeth." then I count backwards from thirty-five, loud enough so she can hear me from the bathroom. (Is thirty-five seconds enough time to brush one's teeth? Probably not, but I count very slowly, so that each "second" is more like two seconds.)



This weekend I made banana nut bread for the Other Adult's breakfasts. I pack her lunch with one slice every morning. I like packing my family's lunches. Sometimes to be cute I include goofy little notes on bright pink post-its. I like taking care of the people in my family.

Moist Banana Walnut Bread

Preheat oven 350. Grease two 9 inch bread pans.
  • 1 3/4 cups sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 1/4 cups flour
  • 3/4 cup olive oil
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 1/3 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1/4 cup buttermilk(I make my buttermilk from soy milk and vinegar)
  • 1 cup chopped walnuts
  • 1/2 cup ground walnuts (ground in a mortar and pestle or in a food processor)
  • 5 mashed bananas
Mash the bananas with your hands, then combine all the ingredients in a large bowl. Use black bananas if possible. I didn't have black bananas, so I peeled then microwaved the bananas until they were warm, but not hot. Divide the batter evenly between 2 bread pans and bake for 45-50 minutes. The toothpick should be almost clean, but not quite.

No comments:

Post a Comment