Monday, January 23, 2012

where did I go?

It's been a year since I posted. A year!

What happened to me? Well, I bought a house, for one thing. A house!! Ahh!! My favorite feature of my 1954 house is my knotty-pine, 1954-esque kitchen with a vintage, O'Keefe and Merritt stove, pictured here.


Note the bungee cord holding the oven door closed. That's a real 1954 bungee cord.

Actually that's pretty unlikely.

Anyway, we fixed the oven door in November. No more bungee cord. The Other Adult in the house, my other boss, gave the decree that we had to have the oven fixed before Thanksgiving, and so it was.

Actually, there's just a slew of things going on in my life now, some good and bad. I'm not sure if I should go into all nitty gritty details of my life on this blog, as I think I intended to make this blog about food. But then, the food I make is shaped by my life, my life is shaped by the food I eat. My commute to our new home is longer than it used to be. My kitchen is larger but my available time has shrunk. Let's just say I'm baking a lot more convenience foods than I used to. No, not like boxed mac n cheese and vegetarian chicken nuggets. More like, tostadas (takes about 30 minutes), nachos (again, about 30 minutes), mini pizzas (45ish minutes), fajitas (30 minutes)--you get the picture. People in my family want dinner on the table by 5:30 or the world explodes. I do my best to accommodate.

The Other Adult purchased a chest freezer for our garage, and the house came with a Bonus fridge, which means I've got LOTS of cold-air storage. I've been experimenting with making food leftovers and freezing them in small portions for easy reheating. I'll tell you more about that as I get time.

Also, I started brewing beer. Beer! I'll be posting a lot more about this as the situation develops, but this is a new hobby for me. See here, a picture of my boil from this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment