Friday, March 16, 2012

Creamy Corn Chowder

K, so when I get paid or get my tax refund, I'm going to start my next brew, but I can't decide what kind. The stout is fabulous but now I want to go lighter. Maybe an IPA...?

The weather outside the last couple of days is cold and overcast, so I'm sharing this recipe for my family's favorite corn chowder.


Creamy Corn Chowder
preparation time: 30 minutes

Ingredients:
  • One large potato
  • One small red onion
  • One red bell pepper
  • One to two heads of broccoli
  • Flour
  • Minced garlic
  • Salt
  • Milk (2 ½ cups)
  • Veggie broth (1 ¼ cups)
  • Corn (3 cups)
  • Grated cheese (1 cup)
Cut up potato, red onion, red bell pepper, broccoli (or green beans, or snap peas, or some other green vegetable—I usually use whatever is on-hand) and sauté together in olive oil on high heat for 5 to 10 minutes. Season with minced garlic and salt. Once it has sautéed to your liking, mix with two tablespoons flour and turn off heat.


In a large pot over the stove, mix two and a half cups of milk and one and one fourth cup veggie broth.

Mix sautéed veggies from step 1 into the pot with the milk and veggie broth. Turn on high heat. Add corn. Bring to a boil then simmer for 20 minutes, until potatoes are fully cooked.
Mix in ¾ cup of cheese. When the cheese is fully mixed, the soup is ready.
Serve each bowl with a little of the remaining cheese garnishing the top.



No comments:

Post a Comment